The DMACC Career Academy at Southridge will provide classes for approximately 200-300 high school students. In addition to current offerings, the following programs are being considered:
- Automotive Technology and Auto Collision
- Building Trades
- Criminal Justice
- Health Occupations
- Teacher Academy
- Career Work Experience
- Visual Communications
What are Career Academies?
Career Academies have become used widely to engage high school students and prepare them for successful transitions to post~secondary education and employment. They are organized as small learning communities which combine academic and technical curricula around a career theme, and establish partnerships with local employers to provide work~based learning opportunities.
DMACC's Career Academies
DMACC and area high schools have formed a partnership to offer high school students opportunities to earn college credit. Juniors and seniors are able to enroll in and complete DMACC courses at DMACC campuses.
- Career Academy courses supplement high school courses
- DMACC course competencies, course materials and textbooks are used in the classroom
- Courses are the same quality as the courses taught on college campus
- Instructors are certified through DMACC
- DMACC Academies serve over 1,000 students annually
Other Career Academy Locations
Career Academy Advantages
- Students earn free college credit and experience while still in high school.
- Students gain experiences that lead directly to degrees, diplomas, certificates and/or apprenticeships.
- Students gain hands-on training in an area of personal interest.
- Career/technical programs give students excellent opportunities to explore career options before leaving high school.
- Career/technical programs are equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
- Students enter the workforce with marketable skills.
- There is no cost to the high school student to enroll in dual-credit courses.
- Students save time and money with the chance to get an early start on college.
Career Advantage Southridge Registration Form