Providing Guidance from Admission through Graduation
Welcome to the DMACC Academic Advising homepage. On this site, you will find general information to help you develop your educational plan.
While we offer academic advising at all locations, your primary contact for your program of study may be on a specific campus.
An advisor can assist you with:
- Planning your class schedule
- Understanding the AA, AS, AAS, and AGS degrees
- Transfer information
- Registering for classes
- Understanding and completing admission requirements
- Learning more about a DMACC major or program of study
- Checking your progress toward graduation
- Understanding DMACC's academic policies and procedures
Advising vs. Counseling
Advisors and counselors perform different roles. We recommend you make an appointment with a counselor if you need help with:
- Academic issues (struggling grades)
- Career issues (deciding on a career)
- Personal issues (family/relationship issues, stress, anxiety, etc.)
- Visit the Counseling site
The mission of Student Development is to provide counseling and advising in a learning environment to help individuals achieve their educational, career, and personal goals.
*Please note: West Des Moines Campus advising is by appointment only—no walk ins. Advising appointments are available Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Please call 515-964-6200 to schedule your advising appointment. West Des Moines Campus office hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fridays.
To refer a student for academic advising support, please follow these instructions on how to submit a student support request.