DMACC is a Service Members Opportunity College (SOC) where career, degree and diploma programs are approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) for VA educational benefits. Monthly benefit rates are set by Congress and the DVA and vary according to student's benefits categories and credit hour enrollment for each term.
The DMACC Veterans Services office assists students in applying for veterans' educational benefits, acts as a liaison between the student and the federal Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA), and serves as a resource to other DMACC departments and services. The office of Veterans Services, is located on the Ankeny Campus, Bldg. 1. The phone number is 515-964-6278, or toll-free 1-800-362-2127. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The following studentsmay be eligible for veterans educational benefits through the VA:
- Former full-time-active-duty U.S. military veterans - Ch. 30
- Current members of the Iowa National Guard - CH. 1606/1607
- Current members of U. S. military reserve units - CH. 1606/1607
- Participants in the VA vocational rehabilitation program - CH. 31
- Surviving dependents/spouses of service related disabled or deceased veterans - CH. 35
Students can receive veterans benefits all three semesters at DMACC, and do NOT need to enrollas a full-time student to receive benefits.
Application for veteran benefits should be completed when applying for admission to DMACC. Forms are available from the Veteran's office on the Ankeny campus. The application process for new claims takes a minimum of 60 to 90 days to complete by the DVA; therefore, appropriate paperwork should be completed as early as possible.