What is consent?
- Consensual sexual activity happens when each partner willingly chooses to participate and says “yes, I want to… (engage in sexual behavior).”
- Verbally and openly communicating about expectations and desires is critical to obtaining consent.
- Consent can only be given by a person who has control of his or her mental and physical capabilities.
Sex without consent
- Sex without consent is sexual assault.
- Use of force, intimidations, or coercion is a denial of a person’s right to freely give his/her consent. Even if someone has agreed to engage sexually, that person has the right to withdraw their consent at any time.
- Consent in one situation does not mean that consent is given for further/future situations.
- “No” means “no”, and the use of ”no” by any of the participating individuals should end the interaction.