The following items must be completed before you attend the first day of class:
- Attend an information session held each Monday or Thursday evening at 5 pm, at 2081 NE 54th Ave., Des Moines. Spouses and family members are encouraged to attend this meeting as well. Note: If you're out of state, call 1-800-35-DRIVE or 515-965-7450.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- You must have a valid driver's license in order to obtain a CDL permit.
- Obtain and present your birth certificate or passport, as required by the DOT, for your permit.
- Present your actual Social Security Card. If you do not have the actual card, one can be obtained free of charge from the Social Security Office at 455 SW 5th St., Suite F, Des Moines. You WILL need this to apply for your CDL Learner's Permit, endorsements, and CDL license. Laminated cards are not accepted by the Iowa DOT.
- Secure your funding. Funding must be complete before starting in class. This process may take several weeks.
- Obtain a copy of Motor Vehicle Record (MVR). You can get this from the IA DOT Driver's License Station on Corporate Woods Dr. Cost is $5.50 in person or obtain on-line from the IA DOT website for $7.00 at https://mymvd.iowadot.gov/Account/Login. (You need the MVR prior to the first day of class.)
- Pass a D.O.T. physical. You must get a DOT physical from an FMCSA certified physician. Typical physical costs range from $75 to $95, and the clinics have the DOT physical forms on site. Certified clinics close to our location include:
5911 Meredith Dr., Suite D, Urbandale
Concentra Medical Center
2100 Dixon, Suite E, Des Moines
Medix Occupational Health
1824 SW White Birch Circle, Ankeny
Please refer to the FMCSA website https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam
for a complete listing of all DOT approved physicians.
- Drug test. Every student is required to take a drug test, but do not take the drug test until you are specifically instructed.
- A CDL permit can be acquired right before class starts or during the first week. A permit is required to do the driving portion of the class.