In 1988 the DMACC Transportation Institute was founded in response to the needs of the transportation industry by providing quality education, training, and retraining. We conduct our training at our 14 acre facility in North Des Moines and on the road. Our primary objectives are:
- to provide the transportation industry with quality entry level drivers.
- to respond to specialized training needs of individual transportation companies.
To continue our responsiveness, DMACC's Transportation Institute fosters and maintains positive relationships with a variety of transportation companies, governmental agencies, and associations including:
- Professional Truck Driver Institute
- National Safety Council
- Iowa Motor Truck Association
- State and Federal Departments of Transportation
- Iowa Workforce Development Programs
- National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
- Over thirty individual trucking companies.
We are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 N. LaSalle St., Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504. We are also approved by the Iowa State Department of Education and the Iowa Board of Regents and are approved for veterans benefits.
Our classes are based on the industry's Bureau of Motor Carriers Safety Curriculum. Experienced drivers work individually with student drivers to develop driving skills on the training concourse and on the road. The ratio of one instructor for every two students provides an excellent training experience. This gives the student as much behind-the-wheel time as possible.