ACCUPLACER® is a series of tests that evaluate students’ skills in Reading and Writing to help place students in DMACC courses and programs that match their skills. It is also used to determine course placement for English Language Learners (ELL).
ACCUPLACER ® uses the latest computer-adaptive technology, which means the questions you see are based on your skill level. Your response to each question determines the difficulty level of the next question.
Remember: No one passes or fails ACCUPLACER® tests, but it’s important to complete the test using your best effort, so you can get an accurate measure of your academic skills and be placed in the appropriate course.
Preparing for the ACCUPLACER® Next Gen
We have resources to help you prepare for ACCUPLACER® Next Gen and ELL Assessments
- Scroll down and click
Placement Test Preparation
Prepare for ACCUPLACER® Tests
Make sure you take the practice under
Next-Generation ACCUPLACER® Practice Tests.
Option 3: Use the ACCUPLACER® Study App
https://practice.accuplacer.org/login to access the ACCUPLACER® app.
- Create an account by entering an email address and choosing a password. The password should use multiple words and a mixture of upper and lowercase characters, numbers, and punctuation.
- Log in with the username and password
- Select the test you need to practice:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
Select a test type, then click on either
Learn As You Go or Practice Test
Read the opening instructions, then click
- Read the next instructions, then click on
Start Test Session
- Read each question, select the answers, then click
Submit at the end
After completing the practice test, a report shows how you scored in each area. Click on a specific area
to review questions and rationale. If you do not score well, click
take test again. Click Learn as you go to
review the questions and answers as you take the sample test.
When you’re ready, take the test!
Relax, ACCUPLACER® Next Gen is a well-designed test to help you assess your readiness for college-level
reading and writing courses. The following tips will help you do your best.
- Get a good night’s rest the night before the test. Eat a healthy breakfast and drink some water that day to nourish your body and mind.
- Arrive a couple of minutes early so you can gather your thoughts and locate the Testing Center. Don’t forget to bring a valid photo ID.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand the process of ACCUPLACER® Next Gen.
- During the test, read the questions carefully.
- Work to answer all the questions.
Below is a partial list of programs that require ACCUPLACER®
This list may change. Please view your Checklist to see if ACCUPLACER® is required for your program.
- CNC Operator/Programmer
- Dental Assistant/Hygienist
- Machinist Technology
- Medical: Assistant/Lab Tech
- Nursing (RN)/Practical Nursing
- Paramedic Specialist
- Surgical Tech
- Tool & Die
- Vet Tech
- Visual Communications
How to view your Checklist
- Log In to
- Click on the
- Scroll down to
View Admissions Applications under Banner Self-Service
Find a DMACC Testing Center
ACCUPLACER® is not a timed test but you should allow 1 hour for ACCUPLACER® Next Gen and 2 hours
for ACCUPLACER® ELL
ACCUPLACER® ELL (English Language Learners)
- How do I know if I need ACCUPLACER® ELL?
both statements below are
TRUE, then you
do not need the ACCUPLACER® ELL, but you may need to take the standard ACCUPLACER®
- I speak a language other than English, but I have studied English for six (6) years or more where English is the primary language of instruction.
- I speak, read, and write English daily.
If one or both statements are not true, visit a DMACC Testing Center to take ACCUPLACER® ELL
What do my scores mean?
|ACCUPLACER® ELL Score||Recommended Class|
|Less than 50 ||Non-credit ELL|
|50-81 Credit||ELL 098 & 099|
Can I retake the ACCUPLACER® to improve my score?
- Yes, you can retake the test in 2 weeks
- Before you test, review the ELL sample questions to improve your skills: https://www.dmacc.edu/testingcenter/Pages/actesttips.aspx
How do I register for classes?
- Non-Credit ELL:https://www.dmacc.edu/ell/
Credit ELL and DMACC Credit Class: Speak to a DMACC advisor before registering
If you have questions about
If you have questions about
Credit ELL, contact: