All full-time and part-time students whose native language is NOT English must provide official evidence of English language proficiency for admission to a degree program of study at DMACC. This requirement may be met by taking and passing the ELL Test in ACCUPLACER® Classic. This test is available at the assessment centers located on each DMACC campus. This requirement may be waived by providing any of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 173 on the computer test, 500 on the paper test, or 61 on the iBT internet-based version (45 if speaking not completed). The TOEFL code for DMACC is 6177.
- Official transcripts from an accredited United States college or university showing successful completion ('C' or better grade) of a college-level writing course and 6 hours of college-level academic course work requiring reading.
- ACT score of 19 or higher in Reading and Writing. The ACT code for DMACC is 1272.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.0 or higher.
- Duolingo English Test: The Duolingo English Test (DET) is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on demand, in under an hour for only $49. The test is taken online via a computer with a webcam and microphone. The test includes a proficiency score, video interview and writing sample which are shared with DMACC when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session. DET tests taken on or after July 15, 2019, require a score of 90 or higher. To take your test today, please visit: http://englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants
Applicants who cannot show proficiency at the required level MAY be admitted to the English Language Learner (ELL) program. Admission to ELL is usually for a maximum of one (1) year. Applicants in the ELL program may be admitted to their degree program when able to demonstrate the required level of English proficiency.