High School Completion Program FAQ

​​​​​1. What is the difference between the DMACC Adult High School Diploma and the HiSED/HiSET?

The High School Diploma is issued by Des Moines Area Community College and is earned by satisfying course requirements.

The High School Equivalency Diploma (HiSED) is issued by the State of Iowa and requires a passing score on each of the five HiSET tests.

Students can register for DMACC Adult High School Diploma classes after their original high school class has graduated.

2. How long will it take to earn a DMACC adult high school diploma?

This depends on how many eligible credits you have earned to date. The High School Completion Center must evaluate your high school transcript to calculate needed credits. Credit Transfer students must be referred by their high schools.

3. Do I have to attend based on a certain schedule?

No. The DMACC diploma program allows the flexibility needed for most non-traditional students to earn their high school diplomas.

4. How do I get into the DMACC program?

Contact the High School Completion Center at 515-964-6255 or 800-362-2127, ext. 6255.

5. How does your program compare to most high schools?

The DMACC Adult High School Diploma is accredited through the Iowa Department of Education.

6. Are there required courses like PE?

No. All required courses are core classes such as American Government and American History.

7. What happens if I do poorly on my course work?

While the program is independent study, there are fully licensed teachers available to assist students during Center hours.

8. Do I have to wait until the beginning of a semester to enroll in a course?

No. The program is all independent study, there is ongoing enrollment.

9. How long do I have to complete a course?

You will have four months from the date of the initial enrollment to complete each class.

10. I still have other questions. How can I get further information?

Call us at 515-964-6255 or 800-362-2127, ext. 6255 or send us an email.