International Students

Getting Started

Thank you for your interest in attending DMACC as an international student. Please read the information below and feel free to contact the International Student Office at 1-800-362-2127 or email us at: with any questions. If you are a new international student, please email us to reserve a seat for orientation.


The deadline to apply is the date that all required documents must be received in the International Student Office. If your paperwork reaches us after the deadline, we will process your application for the next semester.

Applicants for admission outside the United States:

All applications for admission must be received NO LATER THAN 30 work days prior to the first day of the semester.

Transfer applicants from within the United States:

(A transfer applicant is any student with a valid I-20 who has or will have completed one or more semesters at another United States college/university before attending D​​es Moines Area Community College.)

All applications for admission must be received NO LATER THAN 10 work days prior to the first day of the semester:

Apply Today


Frequently Asked Questions

​​All full-time and part-time students whose native language is NOT English must provide official evidence of English language proficiency for admission to a degree program of study at DMACC. For more details see our Language Proficiency.

Yes, there are no restrictions to working on campus. You do not need any working permission from the federal government. Students should be aware that jobs are limited. For more details see our Career Center website.

The federal government has general restrictions on F-1 students who work off campus. There are two exceptions:

1. CPT (curriculum practical training)
2. OPT (optional practical training)

For more information, please contact the International Student Office at 515-964-6471 or 1-800-362-2127
 ext 6471 or

As an F-1 or temporary student with a non-immigrant visa you cannot qualify for in-state tuition. If you come from a sister state, you do qualify for resident tuition. 

Yes, all F-1 students are eligible to apply for health insurance through DMACC.

Dental and vision are not included with the DMACC health insurance. However both can be added to your insurance package for an additional fee.

Yes, if you are in F-1 status and your I-20 has not expired.

DMACC has housing available at the Ankeny and Boone campuses. Visit the Student Housing website.

Yes, but you must inform the International Student Office so that your SEVIS records are updated and to keep you in full-time status. The best financial arrangement is to continue full-time study at DMACC and take cross-enrollment classes at Iowa State University, Grand View University or Drake University. 

DMACC offers online classes, but the U.S. federal government requires the F-1 student can take no more than one course (i.e. no more than three credits) per fall or spring semesters.

Yes, for those students who are abroad. Contact the International Student Office at 515-964-6471, 1-800-362-2127 ext 6471 or for more information.