The academic component is designed to generate the academic skills and the motivational re-enforcement necessary for success while students are still in high school. It begins in September and ends in May.
During the academic year the following services are provided:
- Tutoring sessions are held after school once a week; additional tutoring is provided when needed.
- Saturday Return Trips: Saturday sessions are held once a month at DMACC Urban Campus or a designated spot
for a specific event. The following services are provided:
- Supplemental instruction in basic skills classes
- Career and Character Development workshops
- College Recruitment presentations: Representatives speak to the students about the requirements of admissions into local colleges.
- Leadership Conferences
- College Visits: Students learn first hand about local colleges
- Special Spring Break trips are sometimes offered. In the past the program has taken the students to Oklahoma and Tennessee for Spring Break.
UPWARD BOUND STUDENTS ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE MONTHLY STIPENDS FOR ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN ACADEMIC YEAR ACTIVITIES.