Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students to transfer data from their federal income tax returns into their FAFSA electronically.
What is the Data Retrieval Tool?
- IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) process will help simplify the verification process if selected.
- The 2023–24 FAFSA form asks for 2021 tax information.
- The 2022–23 FAFSA form asks for 2020 tax information.
- Using the IRS DRT process can reduce errors on your FAFSA, as well as reduce the amount of requested documents from the Financial Aid Office.
- When you submit the request, the IRS will confirm your identity.
I’m unable to link my tax return. What do I do?
If you are unable to link your taxes to your FAFSA, you may be asked to provide a copy of your Federal tax Return Transcript. How to get an IRS tax return transcript.
I was selected for verification, but I didn’t make enough money to file taxes. What
do I do?
If you did not make enough money to file taxes, then you will need to get a non-filing letter from the IRS and submit it to the Financial Aid office.