View courses and REGISTER NOW
- This class is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course Updated.
- Class size is limited to 12 students per class with 2 instructors. Smaller classes are limited to 6 students with one instructor.
- You must attend all 15 hours of the same class you registered in. Showing up late and/or missing class time is grounds for being dismissed from the class without a refund.
- Class is held rain or shine.
- DMACC provides the motorcycle (250s) and all classroom materials.
- Students are required to bring their own full-fingered riding gloves and DOT approved helmet to each class. The Rider Coach will inspect students' helmets to ensure they have the DOT approved sticker and are in good condition.
- Upon successful completion of the Basic Rider class the DOT motorcycle endorsement skills test MAY be waived by the DOT.
- The students personal motorcycle or scooter may only be used for the motorcycle class with special permission provided by the motorcycle department prior to registration. They can be no bigger than 400cc's and must be in prime working condition. Students must have insurance for the scooter, bring proof of insurance with them to class, have the ability to trailer the scooter to and from class, and take the scooter with them after each class.
- The BRC class is mandatory for students under the age of 18 to obtain a motorcycle license in Iowa. Anyone under the age of 18 must have the signature of a parent/guardian on the waiver form and bring it with them on the first day of class. Download waiver
- Students must take the MSF online E-Course and obtain the completion certificate before registering for the Basic Rider Course (Motorcycle Rider).
- Proper riding attire required at all times: pants, long-sleeves, sturdy over the ankle footwear and rain gear should it look like rain. Students must come to class with the proper clothing to ride, including for the first class.
- Must be able to ride a two-wheel bicycle. (Students must have this experience and balance to be able to take a BRC class.)
- Valid driver's license or driver's permit (you do not need a motorcycle permit in order to take the course). Please be prepared to show this to your instructor the first night of class. The license does not have be an Iowa license. It is up to the student to make sure their state will honor the certification. Iowa DOT will not issue a motorcycle license to anyone with an out of state license unless they transfer their entire license over to Iowa.
- Must be at least 14 years of age to register for the class. DOT requires the course be completed within the year prior to attaining the motorcycle license.
To enroll, follow “View courses and REGISTER NOW” link above. Questions:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-964-6800.