Upward Bound (UB) is a TRIO Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Upward Bound provides fundamental support to the participants in their preparation for college entrance.
Upward Bound serves students attending East, Hoover, Lincoln, North, and Roosevelt High Schools of the Des Moines Public Schools.
Upward Bound serves students in families who are:
- Low income -- see low income chart for eligibility
- First generation college students - live in households where neither parent nor guardian has graduated from a four year college or university.
Note: Prospective participants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 unless they are an incoming freshman.
The goals of Upward Bound are to:
- Assist students in graduating from high school
- Assist students in enrolling in college
- Provide students with skills that will ultimately allow them to graduate from college within 6 years after being admitted into college
All program services are free to Upward Bound participants.
The services provided include:
- Academic Year Programming
- Academic Advising and Personal Counseling
- Academic and Career Assessments
- Supplemental Instruction in:
- Math (Algebra - Trig. Pre-calculus)
- English (Composition and Literature)
- Science (Earth Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- Foreign Language
- Computer Science
- Other subjects as needed
- Tutorial Services - UB provides tutoring for students after school
- Financial Aid Advising and Counseling - UB assists families with completion of Financial Aid Forms and understanding Student Aid Reports and financial aid award letters
- Character Development Workshops
- Cultural and Educational Enrichment
- College Entrance Exam Assistance - UB provides preparation classes and payment for ACT and SAT tests
- Admissions Assistance - UB provide waivers, deferments and payments for fees associated with college admissions, housing, and orientation
- Six Week Summer Residential Program
- Career Exploration and Summer Workstudy opportunities
- Bridge Program - Payment for 2 summer college classes upon graduation from high school
Download an application for Upward Bound