Raising Money for London

​​Check out what financial aid is available in your case.

Make an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor​ at 515-964-6282.

Research what scholarships are available

  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program

    The Gilman International Scholarship Program provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad for up to one academic year. The program aims to diversify the kinds of student who study abroad and the countries and regions where they go. The program serves students who have been under-represented in study abroad.
  • The site, http://www.college-scholarships.com/, links to 70 no-cost scholarship searches students can use to "match" themselves to scholarships that can be used for undergraduate study, overseas study, internships, and graduate and professional school study.
  • In September-October, scholarships offered by DMACC campuses will be announced. Usually Urban and Boone campuses offer $500.00-$1000 to their students (based on need and merit) Last year, Newton campus offered $500 as well.

Get a job in January since you leave for London the first week of February

Options for getting a job on DMACC campus.

  • Check the Student Employment Office in Building 1 for part-time employment opportunities.   Students can go to the Info Desk in Bldg 1 and ask for Jackie Boldt.  She will show them where the listings are located and is available for any hints on interviewing or putting together a resume'.
  • Do a Work-Study job on campus (it would be awarded as part of your Financial Aid). Take advantage of it, as they can earn money without leaving campus. The DMACC Career Center will help locate a Work-Study position on campus.
  • Earn money as a peer Tutor if they got an A or B in a class. The Tutoring Office is in Bldg. 6 (behind Academic Achievement Center).   

Ask your family (especially if you have a big one!)

  • For winter holidays, ask your families to give you gifts in the form of contributions to your London fund. If you have a big family, this sum might be substantial
  • Students in the past have organized ruffles at their family gatherings.

Ask a Financial aid Advisor at 515-964-6282 how and where to apply for a private student loan.