STRIVE - Selected Training Received in Vocational Education
What is STRIVE?
- STRIVE is a support program on the Des Moines Area Community College Ankeny campus for special education students requiring transition assistance from high school to a vocational program at DMACC.
- Vocational training is provided through regular DMACC vocational courses with resource support from STRIVE staff.
- STRIVE has served area students since 1981 in vocational/technical training.
- The STRIVE staff includes 2 certified special education personnel.
- STRIVE's ultimate goal for students is employment in the career field for which they are being trained.
Who is Eligible for STRIVE?
- Students must be receiving special education services and have a current IEP.
- Students must have completed their high school requirements but have an unmet vocational goal on their IEP.
- Students must be referred by their local high school IEP staffing teams prior to mid-March of their senior year.
What Can STRIVE Provide?
- Resource assistance
- Tutoring, study skills assistance
- Progress monitoring with instructors
- Campus services information