Be Safe on the Way
If you ride a bicycle
- Register your bicycle.
- Keep a record of the bike's description, serial number, and registration number.
- Engrave the bike with an easily traceable identification number (such as a driver's license).
- Park in a spot with many people around.
- Lock your bicycle to a bike rack or a tree - but never a tree that could be damaged. Use a cable or chain (at least 3/8" Diameter) linked through both wheels and frame.
- Never leave a bike unlocked. When possible, keep it indoors. If it is stolen, notify campus security or local police immediately.
If you drive a car
- Drive with doors locked and windows rolled up.
- Lock doors and trunk when parking. Take your keys.
- Do not leave valuables in view. Store valuables in a locked trunk or take them with you.
- Park in lighted areas.
- Check the back seat before getting into a car.
When you are walking or jogging
- Do not walk alone. Get a friend to go with you - especially at night. Carry a whistle.
- Use public walkways. Walk on lighted paths and in lighted parking lots. Avoid shortcuts and dark or isolated spots.
- Women should take extra precautions. Dress for freedom of movement - no long, confining skirts, clogs, platform shoes, easy-to-grab capes, etc.
- Keep your purse tucked closely under your arm. Do not overload yourself with bundles.
- Do not hitchhike.
© 2015 Des Moines Area Community College