The UNI 2+2 Elementary Education BA Program
PROPOSED SEQUENCE—Sequence Subject to Change
UNI 2+2 Program Coordinator: Marc Renning
To Do List: Complete the following tasks ASAP!! Completion of these tasks DOES NOT obligate you to participate in the 2+2 program.
- 2+2 Inquiry Form
- Admission to UNI - All 2+2 Students should be admitted to the University before December 1 of the year prior to taking UNI classes.
- Complete a Declaration of Curriculum Form at: http://www.uni.edu/registrar/forms
- Click on Declaration of Curriculum to access the template. Mail the completed form to the 2+2 Program Coordinator, Marc Renning, 906 N. Grant Road, Carroll, IA 51401.
- Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- All students must have all requirements for the Teacher Education Program Completed by the first summer semester in the UNI portion of the program.
- Start the process NOW by completing the application found at: http://www.uni.edu/teachered/admission-uni-teacher-education-program
- Click on the "Application to Teacher Education (.pdf)" link.
- Please mail in your completed Application for Admission to Teacher Education to: University of Northern Iowa, ATTN: Barb Hill, College of Education, SEC159A, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0602
- GPA and Courses
- Among other requirements, UNI Teacher Education requires all students to have a grade of C- or higher in the course/ course equivalents: College Writing and Research (ENGLISH 1005/620:005), Oral Communications (COMM 1000/48C:001), and Mathematical Reasoning for Teaching I (MATH 1201/800:031) or other LAC Category 1C math courses (ENG 106, SPC 101, or 126, and MAT 114)
- Retake courses in which you earned lower than C-
- Students must complete course equivalents of:
- Dynamics of Human Dev. (EDPSYCH 2030/200:030)(3 credit) Transcript may list this CC transfer credit as "Human Growth/Development--400:120" (PSY 121);
- Field Experience (EDPSYCH 2017/200:017)(1 credit) (EDU 213)
- 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Students with a deficient cumulative GPA may contact the Director of Teacher Education to discuss options available for students to meet this requirement.
Praxis CORE (PPST) Examination: http://www.uni.edu/teachered/praxis
- Reading: test # 5712 cut off score 138
- Writing: test #5722 cut off score 142
- Mathematics: test #5732 cut off score 115
- Total score requirement 448 or higher
- Test code for combined test: #5751 (all three sections)
- United: http://www.uni.edu/teachered/
- UNI will also open a United account for you to check your progress in Teacher Education online! See the UNI Teacher Education website for details.
- Click on the "Monitor your Progress (United)" link, found under the "Current Students" drop down menu.
All students taking courses at higher education institutions other than UNI, must request a transcript to be sent directly from that institution to UNI.
- Most transcripts are sent electronically from one institution to another, but here is the address just in case it is requested!
UNI Admission's Office, UNI, 120 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, Iowa, 50614-0018
- Students should request a transcript be sent each semester you take a DMACC class, once you enter the UNI portion. Transcript to be sent as soon as community college grades are reported on the transcript.
- Admission to UNI/Teacher Education and your registration in UNI courses may be delayed or denied if the UNI Registrar's Office does not have a record of your enrollment in the required and/or pre-requisite courses at another institution
Before You Enroll in UNI 2+2 Courses
READ the UNI Catalog for complete details about the latest Elementary/Middle Level Education Program Requirements and University Policies. You can locate the online catalog at: http://www.uni.edu/catalog/
Teacher Education Induction Convocation at UNI
After your admission to the UNI Teacher Education Program, your family and you will be invited to attend a ceremony to celebrate your achievement! Plan to attend this event in the Fall or Spring Semester! Find the dates at:http://www.uni.edu/teachered/ It is held in the Gallagher- Bluedorn Performing Arts Center on UNI's campus in Cedar Falls. Students arrive at 3:15pm and the ceremony begins with the entering of the teacher candidates at 4:00pm. Refreshments are available after the ceremony ends at about 5:30pm.
Student Request Forms
Special requests such as course-substitution OR waiver of a course or program requirement, must be made using a "Student Request Form." All SRFs should be sent to the 2+2 Academic Advisor for an initial recommendation decision.
Note: The most common SRF submission from 2+2 students is for the Field Experience (EDPSYCH 2017/200:017) to be waived. Those 2+2 students who are currently or have been recently employed in an Iowa DE-approved PK-Grade 12 school setting AND who need credit for EDPSYCH 2017/200:017 may apply for a waiver. These students must secure a letter from his/her supervisor on business letterhead (with email and phone contact information) detailing the length of employment, age level of students, duties engaged in, and quality of the work performed. The SRF and supporting documentation should be sent to the 2+2 Academic Advisor for initial recommendation. If approved, the Advisor will send the request to the appropriate parties for their decision. You should check your records on MyUNIverse for evidence of course approval. Contact the 2+2 Academic Advisor or the UNI Registrar's Office with questions about course substitutions. Allow 4-weeks for this form to be processed.