Program Entry Requirements
Complete an application, satisfy the assessment requirement and attend any required information or registration session. Students start fall term.
Complete an application, satisfy the assessment requirement and attend any required information or registration session. Submit proof of Machinist Technology Diploma or equivalent. Students start fall term.
To earn a Job Shop Maintenance or Diemaking diploma, or Tool and Diemaking AAS degree, a student must complete all course work as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
Skills and Abilities Needed
- Apply math skills in specific machine setups and operations.
- Organize your work, planning each step of the job from beginning to end.
- Maintain a steady hand for precise movements and use your eyes for close work for long periods of time.
- Be able to lift 25-50 pounds.
- Demonstrate imagination and creativity on the various machine setups and operations.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and work closely with others.
- Be able to detect differences among similar colors.
- Work is mentally and physically tiring because you will have to concentrate and be alert for extended periods of time.
- To be a journeyman machinist, you will need two or three years of on-the-job apprenticeship experience.
- There is danger of accidents due to the high-powered, fast moving machine parts.
- Most of the work will be done in a standing position.