What Kind of Work Will You Do?
- Prepare instruments for surgical procedures
- Clean instruments, rooms and equipment following surgical procedures
- Stand for long periods of time
- Assist surgeon with minor and major surgical procedures
- Assist in preparation of patient for surgical procedures
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
- Perform activities in an organized and detailed manner
- Apply knowledge from the biological and social sciences
- Must have necessary physical and emotional stamina to meet demands of a rigorous schedule
- Must have self-discipline and ability to take initiative
What Else Should I Consider about this Program or Career Choice?
- Individuals who have been found guilty of a felony, or pleaded guilty to a felony are not eligible for the national certification exam
- You will be required to communicate easily and clearly with patients and staff
- You must accept responsibility for your actions
- You will stand and walk most of the day
- Working under pressure requires good physical health and emotional stability
- You must be comfortable being in contact with blood and body fluids
- Students may not receive pay for clinical rotation
- Average hourly pay rate is $18.86 per hour, or $39,229 annually (Source:
Gainful Employment Information