The ITR program relies heavily on the use of personal computers, not only for instruction through Distance Learning, but also for training in using computer tools for translation and interpretation work. For this reason, students are required to have basic computer literacy before starting the ITR program. Key skills include:
- File/document management in Windows
- Ability to use web browsers
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to use distance learning platforms, such as Blackboard
- Ability to use web cameras
- Ability to use e-mail programs such as Outlook and webmail applications
If evaluation reveals that the student is not prepared to start the program due to lack of computer proficiency, the Program Advisor and/or Program Chair will work with the student to develop a plan for achieving proficiency; for example, Computer Literacy course, Intro. to Computers course, etc.