Human Services Requirements
Before entering the program, you must
- Complete an application
- Satisfy the assessment requirement
- Attend any required information/registration sessions
Students can start any term.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are necessary for success in the program and in human services careers. Excellent interpersonal skills are also required. Students who enter the program earn an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree. To earn the degree, students must complete a minimum of 64 credits. This can be accomplished in two years of full-time coursework; however, students may enroll in the program on a full-time or part-time basis. All courses can be taken during the day at Ankeny campus and most (but not all) courses can be taken during the evening at Urban and Newton campuses.
Students take a variety of courses in communications, human services, psychology, and sociology.
To earn a Human Services AAS Degree, you must:
- Complete the standard core requirements for the degree
- Complete the Human Services required courses and options
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average
Skills and Abilities Needed
The program emphasizes skills needed in working with clients such as:
- Determining eligibility for services
- Making appropriate referrals
- Assisting with counseling
A supervised field experience allows students to apply their skills in a work setting.