Program Entry Requirements
- Complete an
DMACC application for admission.
- Attend an information session or meet with the instructor.
- Submit a copy of a current State of Iowa EMT-Basic, Iowa EMT-Intermediate/85 or Iowa EMT Paramedic certification (I/99). All students must have an Iowa EMT-B or EMT-I certification
- Submit evidence of a grade "C" or better in one year of high school biology OR a grade of "C" or better in DMACC Academic Achievement Center Biology I OR a grade of "C" or better in BIO 156 or equivalent.
- Obtain a minimum score of 30 in Algebra on the ALEKS test OR a minimum ACT math score of 19 OR obtain a grade "C" or better in MAT 073.
- Obtain a minimum score of 82 in English on the ACCUPLACER ® Classic test or a minimum ACT English score of 19 OR a grade of "C" or better in ENG 061 or equivalent.
- Submit evidence of a grade of "C" or better of one year of high school chemistry OR a grade of "C" or better in DMACC Academic Achievement Center Chemistry I and II OR a grade of "C" or better in CHM 122 or equivalent.
- Obtain a minimum score of 73 in reading on the ACCUPLACER Classic test.
To earn a Paramedic AAS degree, a student must complete all course work as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
All Paramedic AAS Degree students take courses listed in Terms 1-4. Prior to Term 5, students must choose the Clinical Emphasis, Fire Science Emphasis or the Public Administration Emphasis and take those courses listed for Terms 5 and 6.
RECOMMENDED HIGH SCHOOL COURSES:
Composition, Speech, Anatomy, Biology, Physiology, Psychology, Sociology, Accounting, Keyboarding