The Office Assistant diploma curriculum is for individuals who want to develop or refresh their office skills in order to qualify for general office work. Students gain a basic knowledge of English, math, computer applications, and human relations skills. By selecting an emphasis during Term 2, students are able to customize their curriculum and gain specialized skills.
Locations: Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Urban
Selected courses in this program are offered at other campuses.
Program Entry Requirements
Complete an application, satisfy the assessment requirement, and attend any required information/registration session. Students start any term.
To earn an Office Assistant diploma, a student must complete all course work as prescribed and maintain a 2.0 grade point average.
What Kind of Work Will You Do?
- Schedule appointments, give information to callers, direct visitors to destinations
- Read and route incoming communications, paper and electronic
- Complete various keyboarding tasks
- Prepare correspondence, minutes of meetings, and reports
- Perform mathematical and basic bookkeeping tasks
- Input and process information on computers
What Skills and Abilities Will You Need?
- Ability to communicate well
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to read and follow directions
- Ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability to proofread
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to collaborate and fulfill team responsibilites
- Good judgment and common sense
- Dependable and responsible
- Good business work ethics
- Team player
What Else Should I Consider about this Certificate?
- Variety of job possibilities
- Advancement opportunities available
- All students may participate in professional organizations
- Students may take the Certified Professional Secretary exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam
- Average starting salary $26,333
Recommended High School Courses
Composition, Speech, Business Math, Applied Math, Accounting, Computer Literacy, Human Relations, Keyboarding, Office Procedures, Word Processing