The early programs were self-contained with one instructor for each group of 20 students, six hours a day, five days a weeks for a 12-week quarter, four times a year. Classes were set up as a typical office with full-size desks and equipped with typewriters, transcribers, calculators and telephones. At least half of each day was "simulated office" or "model office" where no textbooks could be used. State Department of Public Instruction mandated other equipment, like rotary calculators, comptometers, and mimeographs, as well as certain necessary skills—such as making coffee for the office workers. To insure that class projects and activities were as realistic as possible, the instructor solicited ideas and samples from businesses and advisory committee members.
The office programs moved to the new DMACC Ankeny campus in 1971. Programs were added in Legal Secretary, Medical Secretary, Correspondence Secretary, Administrative Secretary, Data Entry and Special Clerical. A Clerical program was offered full-time at the Iowa Correction Institution for Women at Mitchellville, Iowa. Full-time Office Occupations students totaled around 450, but open entry/open exit flexibility was too much for the institution's record keepers. When the semester system began around 1980, major changes in scheduling brought the Office Technology program in line with the typical university model of classes and credits. Today the Administrative, Office and Medical Office courses are taught through a variety of delivery methods from traditional to online instruction.
Boone Campus started operation in 1927. The first Office Occupation courses started in 1965 under the direction of Glenny Tays. The first courses were one-year clerical and secretarial certificate programs which paved the way for the present program. Courses were held in an old grade school in Boone and at the Boone High School. The professional student organization, Phi Beta Lambda, began in 1968 at the Boone campus.
In 1979 the Western Attendance Center, now the Carroll Campus, began. The Office Occupations Program was introduced at Carroll in 1985 and had one faculty member, Lou Ann Knorr. The program began with individualized courses. In 1986 the Carroll campus moved from the facilities at 229 North Main Street to the present facilities at 906 North Grant Road. Along with the improved facilities and with the increased publicity of the program, enrollment grew. Both individualized and traditional courses were utilized as program needs changed at the Carroll campus. With the Carroll campus expansion in 1992, the Office Technology computer lab was provided with updated hardware and greater computer access for students.
As of 2011, the Carroll campus offers Administrative Assistant Degree and the Office Assistant Diploma, along with several certificates. The Business and Technology program continues to offer both individualized and traditional courses.
A Clerical Program was started at the Urban campus in 1972. The original campus opened in the old Dowling High School Complex, 920 Washington Street, Des Moines. The campus moved to Sabin Elementary at Fifth and College Avenue in 1974. In 1980 the current campus was built at 1100 Seventh Street and an addition was completed. The Legal Secretarial Program was moved from Ankeny campus to Urban campus in 1988. Currently Urban offers the Administrative Assistant Degree and the Office Assistant Diploma. Kathleen Crall had leadership responsibilities in these programs for many years.
The Newton campus began operation the fall of 1993. A limited number of Business and Technology courses are offered. The Medical Administrative Assistant program offers selected courses through the ICN.