1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsps instant espresso or coffee granules
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Beat brown sugar and oil in medium bowl with electric mixer. Mix in sour cream, egg and vanilla. Set aside.
2. Mix flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, salt & pepper in another medium bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture and mix well. Refrigerate dough until firm, 3-4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour powdered sugar into shallow bowl. Set aside. Cut dough into 1 inch pieces; roll into balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar.
5. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are firm to touch. (Do not overbake.) Cool on wire racks.
My family was introduced to Mocha Crinkles prepared by our Iowa State Highway Patrol officer residing on our street during annual neighborhood cookie exchange.