Celebrate! DMACC Newton Campus Turns 25
“DMACC Newton Polytechnic,” as it was first known, opened for its inaugural class of students in 1993. (The original facility, built in 1950 to produce tank tracks for the Korean War, was donated to DMACC by Maytag in 1992.)
What started small grew quickly.
Between 2005 and 2009, enrollment doubled. A High School Career Academy along with nursing and court reporting programs were added to better serve area school districts and students.
In 2016, Iowa businessman Reza Kargarzadeh donated the former Maytag headquarters—seven buildings, comprising a half-million square feet—to DMACC. The expanded campus will be used for additional DMACC programs, plus proposed student housing, office space, retail and community space.
Now known as DMACC Newton Campus, learn more about our 25 year journey:
For a quarter-century, businesses, communities and students have benefited from affordable, convenient and accessible higher education . . . at DMACC in Newton.
"The important thing about the Newton Campus is that, from the beginning, it has been able to respond to the needs of the community above and beyond what any of us expected."
– Carroll Bennett, First Newton Campus Provost.