DMACC, the largest undergraduate college in Iowa, is celebrating the new school year with a new look for its “Discover DMACC” TV series. The program recently filmed for the first time in a state-of-the-art, two-story studio featuring beautiful woodwork and giant monitors throughout.
However, when the latest episode of the 30-minute program begins airing Aug. 8, viewers might be surprised to learn that the show’s new set isn’t quite what it seems – in fact, there’s no set at all. In reality, the newest episode of “Discover DMACC” was shot entirely in front of a large green screen inside the Studio Iowa production studio located in Urbandale. The virtual set viewers will see exists only in a computer, created by highly customizable software (view preview).
“This is part of the continuing evolution in visual effects,” said Todd Jones, Director of Marketing & Public Relations at DMACC. “A virtual set gives us a lot of flexibility, including the ability to showcase graphics and video in different and more dynamic ways.”
Virtual studio technology is changing the way TV shows are being produced and presented. ESPN, for example, continues to build out its virtual capabilities, and recently presented its NFL Draft Predictions from a new virtual studio at its Bristol, Conn., headquarters.
“DMACC offers a variety of creative and technology-driven programs for students interested in the capability and uses of sophisticated software – including CAD, animation and web development, just to name a few – and we wanted to bring that same approach to the show,” Jones said.
“Discover DMACC” highlights the latest news and interesting stories from across the College. The latest installment of the show marks its 29th episode, and will feature a variety of stories, including:
- The story of a high-school senior who saved her father's life using skills she learned through the DMACC Career Advantage Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program;
- A closer look at how DMACC President Rob Denson fared in a recent bus-driving competition to highlight DMACC's new partnership with DART;
- Information about a new state scholarship program that can cover a student’s entire tuition;
- Updates on the many exciting construction projects currently underway at DMACC to help grow and improve the College.
Where and when to watch:
The upcoming broadcast schedule for “Discover DMACC” is as follows:
KCCI (CBS 8)
- 11 a.m., Sun., Aug. 11
- 11 a.m., Sun., Aug. 18
KDSM (FOX 17)
- 8 a.m., Thurs., Aug. 8
- 8 a.m., Fri., Aug. 9
- 10:30 a.m., Sun., Aug. 11
- 8 a.m. (daily), Mon., Aug. 12 – Fri., Aug. 16
- 10:30 a.m., Sun., Aug. 18
WOI (ABC 5)
- 6:30 a.m., Sat., Aug. 10
- Noon, Sat., Aug. 17
- 6 a.m., Sun., Aug. 18
KCWI (CW 23)
- 6 a.m., Sat., Aug. 10
- 4:30 a.m., Sun., Aug. 11
Mediacom (MC 22)
- 5:30 p.m., Tues., Aug. 13
- 9 a.m., Sat., Aug. 10
- 9 a.m., Sat., Aug. 17
“Discover DMACC” is produced by the DMACC Marketing & Public Relations Department in partnership with Studio Iowa.
View past episodes of the program.