Students serious about studying music and developing their talent find DMACC hits the right notes. DMACC’s Music Program helps students:
- Hone their natural musical abilities
- Build a solid base in music theory and performance
- Prep for further education at a four-year college or university
- Gain an excellent education at a community college with the lowest tuition in Iowa
- Broad experience in the performing arts
- An ability to teach
- Vast knowledge about music
DMACC students studying music:
- Build a foundation for a music major at any of Iowa’s regents’ universities or other four-year institution. A two-year associate degree from DMACC with a music emphasis prepares students to transfer to virtually any college or university to earn a BA degree.
- Participate in large and small musical voice or instrumental ensembles – and earn credit for it.
- Can take individual lessons from faculty who are professional players in their own right.
- Can earn one year of credits to apply to a music education degree from a four-year institution.
DMACC’s Music Program offers:
- Vocal music opportunities
- Concert Choir – no audition required
- Chamber Ensemble – by audition
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble
- Instrumental music options
- Applied (private) lessons
- Courses in music theory, appreciation, history, world music, music theory, choral performance, and individual study/performance.
- Ample opportunities to perform on campus or in the surrounding area
- Access to the greater Des Moines metro music scene, including attending performances by the Des Moines Symphony and the Des Moines Civic Center Reduced ticket pricing is available in some venues.
Music courses are offered on the Ankeny, Boone, and Urban Campuses.
Please note: not all courses are offered on each of those campuses. Some courses are available online.
To learn more about how this program can help you build a future career in music, contact:
Dr. James Thompson
Music Department Chairman