If you're preparing to take a Motorcycle or Moped class from DMACC, please review the following Information:
- Students must take the MSF online E-Course and obtain the completion certificate before registering for the Motorcycle Rider Course (BRC).
- Once registered, the E-Course must be completed within 12 months. The Basic Rider Course must be taken within 6 months of completing the E-Course.
- You may register online.
Motorcycle Rider Course (BRC)
- This class is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course Updated.
- Class size is limited to 12 students per class with 2 instructors. Smaller classes are limited to 6 students with one instructor.
- You must attend all 15 hours of the same class you registered in. Showing up late and/or missing class time is grounds for being dismissed from the class without a refund.
Class is held rain or shine.
- DMACC provides the motorcycle (250s), helmet, gloves, and all classroom materials. Students may bring their own gloves and helmets. However, if students bring their own helmets they must be DOT certified and have an official DOT sticker on it. The Rider Coach will inspect students' helmets to ensure they are in good condition. Students are not able to bring their own motorcycle to use in the BRC class.
- Upon successful completion of the Basic Rider class the DOT motorcycle endorsement skills test MAY be waived by the DOT.
- Scooters may only be used for the motorcycle class with special permission provided by the motorcycle department prior to registration. They can be no bigger than 400cc's and must be in prime working condition. Students must have insurance for the scooter, bring proof of insurance with them to class, have the ability to trailer the scooter to and from class, and take the scooter with them after each class.
- The BRC class is mandatory for students under the age of 18 to obtain a motorcycle license in Iowa. Anyone under the age of 18 must have the signature of a parent/guardian on the waiver form prior to attending class.
- Students must take the MSF online E-Course and obtain the completion certificate before registering for the Basic Rider Course (Motorcycle Rider).
- Proper riding attire required at all times: pants, long-sleeves, sturdy over the ankle footwear and rain gear should it look like rain. Students must come to class with the proper clothing to ride, including for the first class.
- Must be able to ride a two-wheel bicycle. (Students must have this experience and balance to be able to take a BRC class.)
- Valid driver's license or driver's permit (you do not need a motorcycle permit in order to take the course). Please be prepared to show this to your instructor the first night of class. The license does not have be an Iowa license. It is up to the student to make sure their state will honor the certification. Iowa DOT will not issue a motorcycle license to anyone with an out of state license unless they transfer their entire license over to Iowa.
- Must be at least 14 years of age to register for the class. DOT requires the course be completed within the year prior to attaining the motorcycle license.
- DMACC's Moped Rider course is a 6 hour DOT-based, classroom-only curriculum that is mandatory for moped licensure.
- Students must be at least 13 years of age to register for the moped class.
- Moped's are classified as 50cc or less and can travel no faster than 30 mph.
- Please contact the Registration Department to register for the course at 515-964-6800. Payment is due at time of registration.