Ask a Question: Residency

FAQs » Residency

I’ve been in Iowa for ninety days, why is my tuition so high?

If a student is classified as a non-resident of Iowa, they are charged at the out-of-state tuition rate which is double in-state tuition. When residency is in question, the burden of proof of domicile is the student’s responsibility. You must provide us with documentation that you have been a resident of Iowa for a minimum of ninety days prior to the first day of the semester. Once the semester has begun, in-state residency cannot be granted retroactively.

Please note that a student cannot be a resident of two states at the same time. If your home is in another state and you are living in Iowa for the purpose of attending school, you are a resident of your home state and not a resident of Iowa.

Download the Request for Residency form, complete it, and provide two of the listed items. This must be submitted before the first day of the semester for which you are applying.

This documentation can be turned into the Admissions Office or any DMACC campus. It will be reviewed by the Registrar. Once the decision has been made, you will receive notification of the outcome.

To check on the status of a submitted residency request, you may contact Megan Ueltschy at 515-964-6320, 1-800-TO-DMACC, ext. 6320 or via email.

Ask a Question

Notice to Customers
If you do not receive a response in a timely manner, please check your junk mail or spam folder. If you do not find a response, please contact the Ankeny Campus Information Center at 515-964-6200 or 1-800-362-2127 and a representative will assist you.