Ask A Question: Financial Aid

FAQs » What is the status of my financial aid?

What is the status of my financial aid?

You can check on the status of your application by going to the DMACC User Login page or calling (515) 964-6282 or 1-800-362-2127 (option 1, then 3).

Who should apply?

Everyone! The only way to determine your eligibility to receive financial aid funds is to apply for it. File your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 to receive priority processing.

If you filed a FAFSA for the last academic year, you can renew your FAFSA online by going to the FAFSA website and clicking on “Fill out a Renewal FAFSA.”

What is Financial Aid?

Financial aid is money provided to help bridge the gap between your own resources and the amount needed to pay for the cost of attending college. The primary responsibility for meeting the cost of a college education rests with the student and family to the extent they are able to pay. A formula established by the U.S. Congress takes into account your family income and assets to determine this ability. Grants, loans, scholarships, college work-study, and alternative loans are the Types of Aid offered by DMACC.

What happens after I apply?

You have the responsibility to follow up on your aid application. You should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the federal processor when they have completed processing your application. You will also receive letters from our office, which could request additional information or documents. You should submit all requested documents promptly. It is best to provide copies of all documents, as originals may be lost or destroyed. You should check the progress of your aid application on a regular basis. If you will not be attending DMACC during the application year, please notify our office promptly.

We will complete the review process when all requested documents are submitted, you will be mailed an award letter indicating the aid you are eligible to receive. Initial award letters are mailed out beginning in March to applicants who applied early.

I have enrolled at less than full-time status (12+ credits). How does this affect my financial aid award?

The amounts of your award could be adjusted based upon the credits you are enrolled in. This table will help you determine your status and how your budget and awards could be affected.

FULL TIME (12+ CREDITS) = 100%
HALF TIME (6 – 8 CREDITS) = 50%

Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Your financial situation must be reassessed each year. However, after the first year you apply for financial aid, you probably will be sent a Renewal Application that will ask you to answer some questions again and recheck the answers to others.

What if my parents or I have had an unusual drop in income or increase in expenses? Do I submit that information to your office? When do you need it?

You do not need to do anything until after you receive your official award notification. Your original award notification will reflect the year's information from your FAFSA. You may then submit a Request for Special Consideration to our office.

Parent and student requests for re-evaluation based on unusual changes in financial circumstances during the calendar year will be reviewed after the initial award letter. If it is determined that your financial need has increased, this increase could be funded with loans and possibly an increased Pell Grant. Do not submit documentation of changes in circumstances until after you receive your first official award notification.

I have questions about my DMACC one card. Who do I contact?

If your question deals with the card itself, call the Higher One 800 number on the back of the card. If your question deals with the refunds, please contact Student Accounts at 1-800-362-2127, ext. 6446 or 515-964-6446.

If I have questions about my refund, who do I contact?

The Financial Aid Office is not allowed to give amounts over the phone. If you want to know your refund amount, log in to the Student Web Info Systems to find out. If you are wondering when you will receive it, please contact Student Accounts at 1-800-362-2127, ext. 6446 or 515-964-6446.

What is SAP?

SAP stands for Satisfactory Academic Progress. It is a set of standards to make sure you are on the path toward graduation. The standards include a grade point average of 2.0 and completion of a pro-rated number of credits that you’ve so you can receive Financial Aid. The first semester you fall below these standards, you will be placed on Warning Status. This gives you the opportunity to make progress toward those standards. You may still receive Financial Aid while on Warning Status. The second semester that you fall below these standards, you will be place on Cancellation Status. If you are on cancellation status, you are not eligible for Financial Aid until you complete the requirements set forth by the committee. If you are on Cancellation Status, you may submit an appeal to explain any unusual circumstances that would have contributed to you not being able to meet the standards.

Am I considered dependent or independent when I fill out the FAFSA?

You are Independent if you answer “Yes” to any of the questions below, you do not have to provide parental information.
You are Dependent if you answer “No” to all of the questions below, then you must provide parental information.

  1. Were you born before January 1, 1985? (Q48)
  2. At the beginning of the 2008-2009 school year, will you be working on a mater’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc)? (Q49)
  3. As of today, are you married? Q50) Answer “yes” if you are separated but not divorced.) “As of today refers to the day that you sign your FAFSA.” (Q50)
  4. Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you? (Q51)
  5. Do you have dependents other than your children/spouse who lives with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2009. (Q52)
  6. Are both your parents deceased or are you (or were you until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court? (Q53)
  7. Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training? (Q54) Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? (Q55)
    1. Answer “Yes,” you are a veteran, if you
      (1) have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard) or are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee who was called to active duty for purposes other than training, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies, and
      (2) were released under a condition other than dishonorable. Also answer “Yes” if you are not a veteran now but will be by June 30, 2009.
    2. Answer “No,” you are not a veteran, if you
      (1) have never engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces,
      (2) are currently an ROTC student or a cadet or midshipman at a service academy, or
      (3) are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee activated only for training. Also answer “No” if you are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and will continue to serve through June 30, 2009.

Ask a Question

Notice to Customers
If you do not receive a response in a timely manner, please check your junk mail or spam folder. If you do not find a response, please contact the Ankeny Campus Information Center at 515-964-6200 or 1-800-362-2127 and a representative will assist you.