Writing Lab Mission:
- To help students at all levels develop their writing processes to improve their academic, civic, and personal writing including writing for the disciplines, resumes, cover letters, scholarship and application essays, and more
- To assist faculty members in developing writing assignments and assessments
Writing Lab faculty members rely on the following proven success strategies and best practices to accomplish this mission:
- Assist students in improving their thinking and composing processes to help them become lifelong, independent learners
- Help students develop their planning, pre-writing, researching, organizing, drafting, revising, and editing habits as opposed to merely grammar-checking individual products
- Teach and help students practice writing conventions when patterns of issues are present
- Establish relationships with students to foster their social development and connect them to the greater DMACC community
- Build students' confidence by encouraging success
- Support reflection and critical thinking through listening and questioning
- Maintain a student-centered approach by tailoring instruction to address individual students' needs
- Conduct writing workshops for students and instructors
- Collaborate and maintain positive relationships with faculty across the curriculum by helping compose writing assignments and supporting their classes through workshops and visits
No appointment necessary--just drop in! For best results, don't wait until the day your paper is due.
Proofreading - Although Writing Lab staff will not proofread your papers for you, they will help you master the grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills you need to proofread effectively yourself.
Writing Lab Documents: